What is Cyber Security Awareness Month?
For most people, October is the month of ghosts and goblins, but for the last 17 years, October is also Cyber Security Awareness Month in the USA.
Now in its 17th year, Cyber Security Month builds on the momentum initiated jointly by National Security Agency (NCSA) and the Cyber Security Infrastructure Agency (CISA), and now cyber security month reaches more than 1.5 million members and over 1,000 organizations across the country.
Cyber Security Awareness Month is extremely useful to try and educate people world-wide about how to protect themselves online.
NCSA helps to promote understanding and awareness during Cyber Security Month through brochures, websites, seminars and programming. . Sources: 9, 14, 15
Throughout October, you will have the opportunity to obtain a variety of resources that will help you better understand the importance of cybersecurity and the simple steps you can take to protect your own business, your family and your business.
Is Cybersecurity awareness month Only for Government Agencies?
There are many successful public-private partnerships that are so important for cybersecurity. GGA provides free educational resources and services to raise awareness of the importance of cybersecurity and ensure that the public has the opportunity to be safer and safer online. The overall aim of these events is to demonstrate the value of building a smart cyber workforce and to help people strengthen their own security awareness by making them enjoy themselves. Sources: 4, 10, 13
Canada joined the United States in celebrating Cyber Security Awareness Month in October. The aim is to raise awareness of cyber security threats, promote cybersecurity among citizens and organizations and provide resources to protect the Internet through education and exchange of best practices.
In October, participating groups launched a campaign to raise awareness of online security as part of their ongoing efforts to promote identity protection and combat cyber threats. Sources: 16
National Cybersecurity Awareness Month aims to raise awareness and accountability for information security. Led by the US Department of Homeland Security and the National Cyber Security Alliance (NCSA), Cyber Security Awareness Month provides an opportunity to ensure that everyone has the resources they need to stay safe online. The initiative will be implemented from 1 October to 31 October 2017 in partnership with the US Government Accountability Office (GAO). In October, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), and other organizations launched a campaign to provide information, tips, and tools to educate the public about the importance of cybersecurity and combat cyber threats. Sources: 2, 5, 7, 14
- https://www.darkreading.com/edge/theedge/virtual-cyber-carnival-kicks-off-cybersecurity-awareness-month/b/d-id/1339085 4
- https://www.asisonline.org/publications–resources/security-topics/cybersecurity/ 5
- https://www.csiac.org/event/national-cyber-security-awareness-month/ 6
- https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/governments/services-for-government/information-management-technology/information-security/information-security-awareness/cyber-security-awareness-month 7
- https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/cyber-security-awareness-month/ 8
- https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/generali-global-assistance-supports-cybersecurity-awareness-month-301139648.html 9
- https://www.ucop.edu/information-technology-services/initiatives/ucop-information-security/national-cyber-security-awareness-month.html 10
- https://resources.infosecinstitute.com/free-resources-for-national-cybersecurity-awareness-month/ 12
- https://staysafeonline.org/cybersecurity-awareness-month/about-the-month/ 13
- https://www.educause.edu/focus-areas-and-initiatives/policy-and-security/cybersecurity-program/awareness-campaigns 14
- https://support.logmeininc.com/lastpass/help/ncsam-toolkit-lp010070 15
- https://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/tr/security/news/internet-of-things/security-tips-for-enterprises-and-employees 16